Friday 19 February 2010

Do I Need To Have Driving Lessons Before Taking My Theory Test?

Do I need to take driving lessons before taking my theory test?
Do I need to have had 10 hours of driving lessons before I can apply for my theory test?

I've been asked both of these questions more than once over the past couple of weeks!

There's a simple answer to both questions - it's NO!

There is no requirement to take any driving lessons (let alone a specific number of hours) before taking the theory test.

In fact, it's not even necessary to have ever sat in a car, let alone driven one before taking the theory test!

You can take the theory test before you start having driving lessons if you want.
 
However...the theory test is designed to test your understanding of all sorts of Important Things to do with being a safe driver including road signs, proceedures, vehicle maintenance and the law and while it's perfectly possible to acquire all the information you need to pass your theory test from commercially available books and software, it can be a great help to have some practical experience of driving in order to consolidate what you've learning and to give all those dry facts about driving some real meaning...plus you can ask your driving instructor to explain and clarify anything you're not sure of - you can't do that with a book or a hazard perception CDROM!

So, no you don't NEED to have driving lessons before you take your theory test...but having some can help you to pass it!

No comments:

Post a Comment